Saturday, February 19, 2011

Found Poem

Mrs Dubose was close to a hundred
And she was the meanest old woman who ever lived.
She spent most of each day in bed and the rest in the wheelchair
It was rumored that she kept a CSA pistol

Jem and I hated her
When we passed her porch
We would be raked by her wrathful gaze
But we could do nothing to please her

‘Hey Mrs Dubose’
‘Don’t say hey to me, you ugly girl!’
‘You say good afternoon Mrs Dubose!’
She was vicious

‘Don’t contradict me!’
‘What are you doing in that overalls?’
‘You should be in a dress and camisole, young lady’
‘You’ll grow up waiting on tables if somebody doesn’t change your ways!’

‘Not only a Finch waiting on tables but one in the courthouse lawing for niggers!’
Jem stiffened.
I was terrified.
When she died, Atticus said ‘She was the bravest person I ever knew’

No comments:

Post a Comment